Nestled at 400 metres above sea level, the vineyard was built in 1995 near the banks of Lake Arancio.
Opened in 1995 near the village of Sambuca di Sicilia, in Menfi, Ulmo was the first Planeta winery. Built near an ancient 16th-century baglio, or stone farmhouse, the winery overlooks its picturesque estate, also home to the Iter Vitis open-air museum dedicated to the history of Sicilian viticulture. Today the Planeta farmhouse is a meeting place for wine afficionados, and anyone wanting to truly experience the region’s land and history. Around the vineyard, La Segreta nature trail offers three possible walking paths through the countryside for visitors to discover its pristine wilderness and unique landscapes.
Nestled at 400 metres above sea level, the vineyard was built in 1995 near the banks of Lake Arancio, on an ancient riverbed whose slope and lime-rich chalky soil ensures perfect drainage and growing conditions for the vines. Indeed, with over 250 hectares of indigenous and international varieties of grapes carefully tailored to the specifics of each terroir, it is no surprise that Ulmo is still the reference for Planeta’s most renowned labels; wines like the company’s signature classic Planeta Chardonnay—a single-variety super cru that has become a symbol for the winemaking renaissance in Sicily—, or the world-famous Segreta Bianco and Rosso, named after the woods surrounding the estate.
- Nero d’Avola
- Plumbago, Sicilia DOC (Nero d’Avola)
- Sito dell’Ulmo, IGT Sicilia (Merlot)
- Maroccoli, IGT Sicilia (Syrah)
- IGT Sicilia (Chardonnay)
- Alastro, Sicilia DOC (Fiano, Grecanico)
- Visit of the winery and the vineyards, followed by a tasting of 4 wines chosen from Every Day Drinking wines, Planeta wines from the territory and a selection of Planeta extra-virgin olive oils.
- Price : 12.00 € / person
Wine and food pairing
- Visit of the winery and vineyards followed by an aperitif and tasting of 4 wines accompanied by a selection of local products: typical bread with Planeta extra-virgin olive oil, olives, croutons, local specialties (anchovies, cherry tomato, cheeses).
- Price : 20 € / person
- Lunch or dinner
- Lunch or dinner including a tasting of Planeta wines and a selection of Planeta extra-virgin olive oils. The visit ends with a 3-course lunch or dinner inspired by typical local recipes (also includes coffee, local biscuits and select wines).
- Price :
- Lunch : 40 € / person
- Dinner : custom menu, starting at 70 € / person
- Living the grape harvest is an opportunity for a close-up view of the grapes’ journey from vineyard to the winery, with an active participation to the grape harvest with a Planeta guide.
- Team spirit and a family atmosphere are present to improve your acquaintance with the most important stage in the making of wine. This is an actual journey between vineyard and winery which will finish with a tasting of our wines and a genuine country lunch with typical products from the area.
- Price : 35 € / person (including the wine tasting and lunch)
Old vintages tasting
- Guided wine tasting of Planeta old vintages of Chardonnay, Santa Cecilia, Cabernet from the family vault.
- We organize customized workshops on wine making and cooking classes with the chef.
Wine museum on site
- Wines and olive oil can be purchased at all Planeta wineries, depending on availability and the latest pricelist.
- Please consider security regulations presently in force at airports.
- Home shipping of wines and olive oil in Italy and abroad on request.
The Country Museum
- The Country Museum periodically shows exhibitions of photography and modern installations linked to the projects on art and the territory which are supported by Planeta.
La Foresteria is the luxury Winery Resort of the Planeta Estate, offering a relaxing luxury escape in the heart of Sicily’s stunning coastal landscape.
The resort, nestled among the vineyards, is the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful holiday retreat, discover an island famous for its winemaking tradition, relax by the beach or treat yourself to the exciting flavours of Sicilian cuisine and the pleasures of authentic family hospitality.
The 14 guest rooms are all perfectly appointed with private terraces and delightful sea views, each is named after one of the botanical herbs grown in the gardens at La Foresteria, inviting guests to immediately grasp the essence of a Sicilian holiday Planeta-style.
Rich in warm, mediterranean atmosphere, each spacious guest room is styled and decorated according to a distinctive theme. Period furnishings and colour palettes are all different and all inspired by the natural tones of the earth: muted colourways on the walls, red and ocher in the geometrical patterns of the carpets, bright colour accents in the yellows and blues of Burgio and Caltagirone traditional ceramics.
- Heating – in winter
- Pets allowed
- Pool and spa
- Smoking allowed
|Room prices including breakfast|
|Type of room||Low||Middle||High|
|Double single use||Classic||150 €||190 €||230 €|
|Double||Classic||180 €||220 €||260 €|
|Double single use||Superior||170 €||210 €||250 €|
|Double||Superior||200 €||240 €||280 €|
|Double single use||Deluxe||190 €||230 €||260 €|
|Double||Deluxe||200 €||260 €||290 €|
|Child supplement (12 years and under)||free||free||free|
|Child supplement (6 up to 12 years)||Superior/deluxe||50 €||50 €||50 €|
|Cot supplement||10 €||10 €||10|
Contrada Ulmo, 92017 Sambuca di Sicilia, Sicily, Italy
Contrada Ulmo, 92017 Sambuca di Sicilia, Sicily, Italy